.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

cypripedium candidum



So on Monday I was having many heart attacks because I FINALLY got my grubby little paws on two Cypripedium Candidum plants (I was as Sebright Hostas just north of Salem) that I have been dying for, for just about 2 years. Seriously, it made me tear up....


Well, silly me, I realized that I did not include pictures..... have a look at THIS! (above) I got the white one.....the other is just for show....



I am keeping these plants in their pots but planting them in the ground for at least a year....word has it that is the trick...and they will go into my moist (with good drainage) shade garden.....CAN'T WAIT TILL THEY BLOOM!...planting them not far from the other hardy orchid - Bletilla - I have - white - orchid and yellow plants and they are seriously lovely! They have just started poking their little heads about ground...they are surrounded by hakonechloa aurea and black mondo grass - quite the combo!


For those of you who have not heard of this amazing plant, you are certainly not alone. Who knew there were dozens of varieties of HARDY LADY SLIPPER ORCHIDS out there. Crazy! They are not easy to grow and they are spendy - $35 each for a teeny weeny little start, but LOOK AT IT!!!!! Worth EVERY penny!




Below are the bletilla........










Ok...there you have it - truly amazing!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up! This could be me talking (typing) but with a different plant of course. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Thanks Loree! My problem is that I get even more excited about agave.....this whole gardening this really is an illness!!!! (Hi...my name is JJ and I love plants.."HI JJ"....) Is there a 12-step program in my future? ...And then there is the whole INTERIOR design thing......YIKES! SEND HELP!

    I have a huge shade garden in the front of my house which requires a different look than my hot dry garden in the back....I guess it really is the best of both worlds!!!

    ReplyDelete

IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO NOT HAVE MUSIC PLAY DURING YOUR VISIT, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN AND HIT THE STOP BUTTON ON THE PLAYLIST! ENJOY YOUR VISIT!